Spring and Fall Beings Big-Time Rain
The rainy winter season in Central Texas puts you to the test and often brings unexpected surprises in terms of water leaking into a home. One morning we wake up and find ourselves walking into a water puddle while on the way to making our morning coffee… What happened? A night full of rain caused water to intrude through the patio door. The culprit could either be poor insulation of the actual door or perhaps water in the backyard had backed up because old leaves had blocked the drain on the patio. We often don’t pay attention to the first little warning signs of water damage, a little here or there, as long as it can be wiped away with a towel we think we are fine. But ignoring such signs long term can cause bigger headaches, like structural damage to the house or mold growth. There are many reasons that can cause a water leak in your home. But serious water damage can be prevented by regularly inspecting your house.
Here are some of the most common causes of leaks in homes:
- Decks and Balconies. They are built nearly level, therefore making water run off very slowly.
- Make sure drains are not blocked with leaves and other litter.
- Blocked Pipes and Gutters. Prevent clogging so water can drain properly.
- Skylights, Windows, and Patio Doors. Check for damaged caulking and make sure they are sealed properly. Give special attention to the corners.
- Chimney and Fire Place.The flashing (the sheet metal that keeps the intersection between the chimney and roof watertight) can separate, making way for rainwater to enter the housing structure.
- Roof. Old, damaged or worn out roofs give way to heavy rains entering your home. You should have your roof inspected annually.
- Check for contractors who offer a Free Annual Roof Inspection Program.
- Check for missing or cracked shingles and replace them. Check for clogged gutters.
Water in your home after all? React quickly.
Water does actually get into your home and you are worried about the damage it might have caused? ATEX water Damage Restoration has some water damage guidelines that you might want to follow. Stay calm, whether day or night quickly call a licensed Austin water restoration company. While waiting for them to arrive you might want to take care of any water you can clean away with mops or towels. Also think about moving any valuables to a safer higher place. (IMPORTANT)Don’t touch any plugged in electronics!
- Water damage is the second most frequently filed insurance claim in the United States
- Water damage claims account for $11 billion dollars in damages annually
- The average cost of a water damage claim is $8,000
- Up to 93% of the cost of water damage could have been prevented by the use of a shut-off system or water leak detection system.
- Only 8% of all water damage to buildings is due to weather.
Smoke Damage Restoration
If you have a fire, the first action is to call your fire department. Your next can be a call to your local fire and water damage restoration contractor. When the fire is out and Fire Marshall allows, they can begin to assess the damage begin immediate emergency board-up and weatherization to prevent further damage from nature. Then they can begin the clean-up and salvage.
A Time Of Uncertainty
Of course, for the families concerned, the days and weeks immediately following a fire are often a time of uncertainty and stress. But certain decisions have to be made that affect your most precious possessions and the home or business that contains them. Fire and water damage restoration methods were developed based on years of experience, as well as continuing specialist training – including various repair and cleaning techniques which were selected with long-term results and returning your value in mind. Fire losses often result in complex damages due to the unique behavior of smoke.
Some things you may not know about smoke:
Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure. Smoke flows around plumbing systems, using holes around pipes to go from floor to floor. The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process. You’ll need trained and experienced professionals who know that smoke can also penetrate deep within cavities of the structure, causing damage and odor which is hidden from view. It’s their knowledge of building systems which helps them to investigate and determine exactly how far the smoke damage has actually spread. That’s why you should only use a trained professional to survey the loss site. They will be able to determine the exact extent to which fire, smoke, heat, and moisture affected the building materials and your valuable contents. There are different types of smoke. A key point that a professional will test for is the type of soot.
Types of soot include:
- Wet Smoke Residues – From smoldering fires with low heat. These are sticky, smeary residues with pungent odors. Difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke Residues – Fast burning fires at high temperatures produce these. These give dry, powdery, small, nonsmeary smoke particles as a residue.
- Protein Residues – Accompanied by pungent odors, these nearly invisible residues discolor paints and varnishes.
- Fuel Oil Soot – Often found as furnace puff backs, which distribute fuel oil soot.
- Other Types of Residues – Miscellaneous residues, such as tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher exhaust also need cleanup.
Inspection and Pre-testing
Trained and experienced technicians will pretest while inspecting the property. These actions will determine the damages and scope required to select needed cleaning, restoration, and repairs. We’ll also investigate to essay the full extent of the damage. How many kinds, types, and quantities of materials were affected by smoke or fire? For each of these, what is the proper method for cleaning? You need specialized carpet cleaning to remove smoke and soot and water damage. While your home is restored, are you going to relocate your personal belongings? It can be vital to protect areas that were not affected by soot and odor before the damage spreads to unaffected areas. This saves your money by isolating the damage. They’ll need to ascertained exactly what materials can be restored and what materials must be replaced. Are all smoke residues effects cleanable? A complete inventory is invaluable, including the inventory of items that are damaged beyond repair.
Testing and Evaluating Gives You Timely Information
Through this comprehensive pretesting, they’ll be able to best determine how long the cleanup will take and let you know what to expect. With experienced and trained technicians, you will be told the most effective cleaning methods and what work procedures are recommended to restore the damaged materials the quickest and most economical way possible. After mitigation starts, professional technicians should keep you informed and answer any and all of your questions while working to help erase any fire and .